What are the Jobs/Positions available in a Bank ? - This would be first question that arise in the minds of candidates looking for jobs in Indian banks.Here are the common positions for which recruitment is conducted regularly & would help in knowing about the position before applying for upcoming bank exams.
Visit any bank & you would come across many employees in that branch.One person would be functioning as a cashier, while few others would be seated on separate desks.Ever wondered the role of each of them you saw?
Who are they?
Whatever be the scale of a bank employee, they would have joined the organization initially in any of these 4 cadres
- Probationary Officer
- Specialist Officer
- Managers & above
Let us now see about each position in detail & what it takes to become one..
Clerk cum Cashier/ Office Assistant
Clerical jobs in banks are the starting point for a career in banking, especially for candidates with a degree or equivalent.
- The clerk is assigned duties of taking care of general branch banking (such as interacting with customers,maintaining account/create reports or any work specified by banks).Read the complete job profile of clerks
In a govt. bank, these clerks are the ones that you see in cash counters who take care of day today transactions of customers.
Probationary Officers (PO)
Candidate with a degree (any stream) are generally considered eligible to apply for PO position.
- There are many professional who joined as PO, have reached top positions & have also become MD & CEO of banks.
- PO`s will be trained in all departments & will assist their managers in various activities.Read the complete job profile of bank po
A probationary officer is ranked above the clerk in terms of grade & salary as well. But clerks can become PO through internal promotions.
The specialist officers will work in specific departments like Engineering, Systems, Marketing, Management, Public relations etc., & are as important as the above two.
- Companies from different sectors approach banks for loans to expand their business & specialist officers will analyze the company including its capacity to repay etc.,before sanctioning the amount.
- For this, candidates from a specific area of study are recruited.For example,a candidate with B.E in computers might be recruited into the bank`s computer section to work in the systems dept.
- So, professional graduates/candidates with specialized degree would be preferred.
So what does an Agri officer do?
Agricultural Officers: Public sector banks lend loans to farmers for agri purposes & agricultural officers are recruited to assess, verify & provide better support for people in rural areas involved in farming activities.
Although the openings are limited ,candidates with qualification in Agriculture/ Veterinary Science/Horticulture & other subjects related to agriculture are offered postings.
If you are you looking to apply for bank jobs? Then see Bank Exams Eligibility Conditions
This managerial position is mostly filled through promotions held within the bank.
But in some cases,candidates with MBA degree or any degree with minimum 3 or 5 yrs of experience are also recruited by banks.
The positions discussed above were for public sector banks only.Private bank jobs have a different management structure & their recruitment process/ eligibility conditions also differ.