We have talked a lot about improving your english skills, in here.For late starters, it may not be possible to follow those tips right before the common exam.We have listed the important topics to concentrate while preparing for english, especially for those weak in english & are looking for guidance.
Test of English Language:
As the name suggests, this section is to check your knowledge about english language.Although questions are of basic level, the options will confuse the candidate as 3 out of 4 would look similar.Practice & proper time allocation will enable you to complete the section easily.
As stated earlier in the clerk exam pattern, this part comprises of 50 questions totaling 50 marks & will be considered for final score.
Topics to cover: The below list is not definitive, but covering these chapters will help you in attending atleast 80% of questions.
- Comprehension question (answer based on the given passage)
- Questions would not be direct & hence have to understand the passage to answer.
- Usage of words
- Fill in the blanks with a correct word from the choices
- Meanings & Opposites
- A phrase may be given asking you to choose a single word similar or opposite in meaning.
- Tenses (past, present, future & their variations)
- example: gave,give,giving,had given,have been giving
- Sentence formation
- complete the sentence by selecting the best words from options
- Error spotting (finding grammatical errors in a sentence)
- Ordering (random sentences to be arranged in a sequential manner)
- Preposition (above,down,under,between,till etc.,) & Conjunctions (and, but,or,yet,although,since etc.)
- Choosing the right adjective, noun or verb in completing a sentence
The above were compiled by referring common po exam & previous clerk exam papers.
There is no guarantee of questions to be asked only from these areas but it certainly would serve as a starting point for english test preparations.